Snow Removal and Snowmobiles
With the recent snowfall, the City of Melfort encourages people to have an active, healthy and safe winter. We advise everyone to abide by the following provisions concerning snow removal and snowmobiles:
When the snow falls, you become the owner of whatever snow falls on your property.
- No one is to shovel or deposit snow, ice or dirt onto any City street or lane from their private property.
- When cleaning your driveways, the snow is to be deposited onto the owner’s own property, not the City’s or that of the neighbors.
- Businesses are to keep the sidewalks adjacent to their place of business clear and free from snow. Failure to do so will cause the removal of same snow and the expense of that removal to become that of the occupant or owner of the business.
- No person shall operate a snowmobile within the City limits, except for the sole purpose of directly leaving and/or returning to the City between the hours of 7:00 am and 11:00 pm.
- Snowmobile operators must be 16 years of age or older with a valid driver’s license, who have completed a safety course if applicable.
- Every snowmobile in operation has to be registered.
- Snowmobiles are to be operated in single file as far to the right hand side of the road as practicable and not in excess of 30 kph
City Bylaws are available for viewing on the City website at www.cityofmelfort.ca